Community: Getting Involved
The community at MdTL is often regarded as one of the deciding factors for families considering joining our school. This community spirit is evident throughout all our activities!
There are many ways to get involved - some parents look at the opportunities presented inside the classroom. However, many parents move beyond the classroom and find opportunities to use their skills and interests among many parent-led committees and projects that support the school. Below is just a brief overview and we welcome you to ask questions and reach out to any Committee Chair or Room Parent.
- Standing Board Committees
- Parent Association and PA Events
- Green Committee
- Mindfulness/Social Emotional Learning Committee
- Contribute Your Skills and Talents
The Parent Association is a vibrant cornerstone of MdTL's community and builds community through education and social events. providing a resource for parents to get involved and stay connected. The Parent Association hosts and supports many beloved events throughout the year, including:
- Back to School Welcome, Monday, August 28, 2017
- Halloween Festival, Saturday, October 28, 2017
- MdTL Holiday Event at Book Passage, Thursday, November 16, 2017
- Holiday Party, Friday, December 8, 2017
- Pancake Breakfast, Saturday, February 10, 2018
- Book Fair, Wednesday - Thursday, April 18-19, 2018 Family Night: Thursday, April 19, 2018
- Staff Appreciation Lunch, Friday, May 5, 2018
- End of Year BBQ, Friday, June 8, 2018
The Green Committee takes a leadership role in our community for creating an environment of health and sustainability throughout the MdTL campus. The committee consists of an energized and forward thinking group of parents and staff working together to achieve such an environment. This school-wide commitment to green principles and practices culminated in 2009 with recognition as a Green Certified Business in Marin County.
The Green Committee sponsors several events each year and continues to share green principles and practices with the community. As part of continued recertification every three years as a Green Business, the Green Committee continues to advance and improve the green practices at the school. The Committee meets on the first Monday of each month and sponsors these projects:
- Fall and Spring Clothing Swap, October 17 and April 26
- Green Your Holiday Gift Wrap, November 2017
- Sewing Circle: Sew Your Own Reusable Gift Bags, November 2017
- Green Your Valentines Day, early February
- Earth Day Celebration, Monday, April 25 - Thursday, April 28, 2018
Co-Chairs: Gretchen Hopkins and Rika Gopinath.
New last year, the Mindfulness/Social Emotional Learning Committee is actively engaged in sharing information and resources with our parent community on a wide range of topics from mindfulness to Social Emotional Learning. The Committee is working to create family friendly gatherings, access to resources and tools for parent support and connection with their children, other parents. Co-Chairs: Laura Knight and Rika Gopinath
What is the SEL Committee at Montessori de Terra Linda?
The goal of the SEL Committee at MdTL is to foster social-emotional learning practices and mindfulness practices in our school community. Composed of parents of MdTL students, we strive to build upon the strong social and emotional work already taking place in the classroom by finding opportunities to shine a light on SEL/mindfulness tools/resources outside of the classroom.
What is the goal of Mindfulness?
The goal of mindfulness is not to become more relaxed, but to be aware of and accepting of whatever state the body and mind are in. Mindfulness can be practiced through meditation but unlike these other techniques, mindfulness can be practiced through mindful eating, mindful driving, mindful walking, or any experience in our lives (Dimidjian & Linehan, 2003).
Join us on Facebook at MdTL Parent SEL Group.
- September 27th at 8:30 am
- October 25th at 8:30 am
- November 29th at 8:30 am
- December - date TBD
- January 31st at 8:30 am
- February 28th at 8:30 am
- March 28th at 8:30 am
- April 25th at 8:30 am
- May 30th at 8:30 am
Do you have a skill or talent to share as a volunteer? Email email@example.com to get started! Here is a partial list of volunteer skills needed:
- Handyman/Carpentry/McGyver projects
- Event Planning
- Fundraising/Soliciting donations
- Grant writing
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Writing Articles, Press Releases, Blogs
Also see also the Gifts In Kind page