Community: Getting Involved
The community at MdTL is often regarded as one of the deciding factors for families considering joining our school. This community spirit is evident throughout all our activities!
There are many ways to get involved - some parents look at the opportunities presented inside the classroom. However, many parents move beyond the classroom and find opportunities to use their skills and interests among many parent-led committees and projects that support the school. Below is just a brief overview and we welcome you to ask questions and reach out to any Committee Chair, Room Parent or our Director of Communications.
- Standing Board Committees
- Parent Association and PA Events
- Green Committee
- Well-Being/Social Emotional Learning Committee
- Contribute Your Skills and Talents
The Parent Association is a vibrant cornerstone of MdTL's community and builds community through education and social events. providing a resource for parents to get involved and stay connected. The Parent Association hosts and supports many beloved events throughout the year, including:
- Back to School Welcome, Monday, August 29, 2016
- Halloween Festival, Saturday, October 29, 2016
- MdTL Holiday Event at Book Passage, Weds. December 7, 2016
- Holiday Party, Friday, December 9, 2016
- Pancake Breakfast, Saturday, February 11, 2017
- Book Fair, Tuesday- Thursday, March 14-16, 2017
- Staff Appreciation Lunch, Friday, May 6, 2017
- End of Year BBQ, Friday, June 9, 2017
The Green Committee takes a leadership role in our community for creating an environment of health and sustainability throughout the MdTL campus. The committee consists of an energized and forward thinking group of parents and staff working together to achieve such an environment. This school-wide commitment to green principles and practices culminated in 2009 with recognition as a Green Certified Business in Marin County.
The Green Committee sponsors several events each year and continues to share green principles and practices with the community. As part of continued recertification every three years as a Green Business, the Green Committee continues to advance and improve the green practices at the school. The Committee meets on the first Monday of each month and sponsors these projects:
- Fall and Spring Clothing Swap, October 19 and April 27
- Green Your Holiday Gift Wrap, December 6
- Sewing Circle: Sew Your Own Reusable Gift Bags, Dec. 8, 3pm
- Green Your Valentines Day, early February
- Earth Day Celebration, Monday, April 24 - Thursday, April 27, 2017
Next meeting: Monday, January 9, 8:30am Madrone Room Co-Chairs: Gretchen Hopkins and Dawn Hughes.
New this year, the Well-Being/Social Emotional Learning Committee is actively engaged in sharing information and resources with our parent community on a wide range of topics from Social Emotional Learning, mindfulness, physical well-being to digital literacy and media use. The Committee is working to create extracurricular activities, resources and tools for parent support and connection with their children, other parents and great resources. By Parents, 4 Parents. Co-Chairs: Julie Hartman and Rika Gopinath
Next Meeting: Thursday, Jan. 12 8:45am Madrone Room.
Do you have a skill or talent to share as a volunteer? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started! Here is a partial list of volunteer skills needed:
- Handyman/Carpentry/McGyver projects
- Event Planning
- Fundraising/Soliciting donations
- Grant writing
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Writing Articles, Press Releases, Blogs
Also see also the Gifts In Kind page